Mommies Unite (How I got my body back after the baby)
Before we begin I would like to note that these tips are merely a guide to assist you towards a flatter more appealing stomach after pregnancy. Results may vary and consistency is the key to success! I am a fitness professional but also a realist and will be as honest and factual as I can possibly be. If you’ve had a c-section or a really large baby these tips will be priceless, however if you’ve had neither of the 2 then you are already ahead of the game. If you have the diastastis recti then you will need a modification of the proper abdominal/core exercises. Without further delay here are your 13 most important Powerhouse Post-Baby Belly Tips:
1. If you follow my #curvyfit journey then you are aware that I’m a huge advocate of the “waist cincher” and “abdominal binder”. First the abdominal binder/waist cincher will help shrink your uterus back to normal size and quicken the healing process for your abdominal muscles and core. In addition, the garment also helps improve your posture/lower back which can weaken after carrying a baby. Also keep in mind that I wore my waist cincher/girdle/abdominal binder for 8-12 hours at a time after having my child. I received my first abdominal binder in the hospital after giving birth. There are also some great ones specifically for c-section incisions online.
2. A great way to attack 2 problem areas at once is to actually dress your stomach area with a base before wearing your abdominal binder/waist cincher! I used Bio-Oil ( You can purchase this product at most drugstores, target, and walmart) and Mederma for stretch marks as a base . Unfortunately after carrying twin boys and my stomach stretching from 27 to 55 inches with an outstanding amount of weight gain in my last trimester of pregnancy, I was left with some stretch marks by my hips and lower abdominal area. However I will attest that I used Bio-Oil religiously throughout my pregnancy and it definitely made a difference in my recovery. Most of my stretch marks have faded away or are very faint. I swear I should be the Bio-Oil Spokesperson! lol I applied the Bio-Oil over my entire stomach,hips, and upper thighs twice a day!
3. As soon as I got home from the hospital I invested in black soap or cocoa butter soap which I solely used on my stomach area to shed away all the dead skin. I also used a sugar scrub about twice a week to aid in shedding away the mask of pregnancy aka black skin. I NEVER used the scrub over my incision.
4. I made sure I gave my body plenty of recovery time before I stepped back in the gym. For vaginal deliveries, the doctors usually recommends 6 weeks and for c-sections 8 weeks. Since I had a c-section I decided to wait 9 weeks before I started training. It can take 6-12 months for the incision to properly heal so its very important to ease your way into the gym.
5. I cut out all my heavy carbs (breads, pasta, rice, etc.) after 6pm. Its important to give your body atleast 2 hours to properly digest your food before you go to bed. Heavy carbs take the body a lot longer to break down and digest. Check out my Powerhouse Meal Guide for more assistance.
6. Since I was breast feeding 2 babies for the first 6 months with supplement it was very difficult for me to detox because I needed to sustain enough calories to provide my twins with the proper nutrition. Instead, what I chose to do was a natural ginger lemon cleanse with organic ginger and lemon. This cleanse is gentle enough to be used twice a day before your meals. The ginger aids in easier digestion which promotes a healthier digestive system.
7. Cardio is key! I would have loved to run in the beginning but my increased weight gain post-pregnancy was too much stress on my knees. I chose to do a lot of speed walking on the treadmill with a moderate to high incline. I practiced interval training on the treadmill in conjunction with increasing the incline every 1-2 min. I also wore an abdominal binder while I did cardio to help strengthen and tighten the core at the same time. After I shed about 15 pounds then I started to run on the treadmill and outdoors when the weather was suffice.
8. I trained whenever I could! Whether it was early in the morning at the gym or late at night at home, I always found time to train. Listen, my twin boys dictated my training schedule therefore I trained 2-4 times a week 30-60 min some days. It was very challenging and some days I fell off the wagon because of exhaustion but I always got back up! This journey isn’t easy and you will find yourself dead tired many days but you have to push your way through it. I did my #FullBodyCurveDown routine religiously!
9. I had a strong core prior to pregnancy so I was able to start minimal abdominal exercise 11 weeks post-birth. The only way you can find out which abdominal exercise will be comfortable is to try. I started off with planks! When I performed my first plank I felt like I was starting from scratch, my core was extremely weak! I started at 30 sec ,and in due time, then increased to 60 sec to 2 min. I stayed away from crunches in the first 3-4 months because I had hernia and slight separation of my rectus abdominis muscle aka (diastasis recti). Most women who’ve had c-sections, multiple births, and large babies have some variations of diastasis recti. I wanted to give my abdominal muscles plenty of time to heal.The abdominal binder was extremely critical in this particular circumstance. You can speak to any medical professional and they will agree. I will show some of the exercises you can do to improve this area in a future post.
10. While you are performing #FullBodyCurveDown and #PlyometricPump also throw in the #Powerhouse Ab Routines which I’ve posted numerous times on my Instagram/AnowaAdjah, Facebook.com/NigerianPowerhouse and Twitter.com/AnowaAdjah. I have also posted some great videos on those sites as well! Also check out my #PowerhouseMealGuide which will do wonders for your nutritional regimen.
11. The Key to this entire post is to be extremely dedicated and consistent! This will not be easy and I assure that your patience will be tested but the reward will feel so much better! Remember this post is a guide and results may vary by individual !
12. You do not need to have a baby and it doesn’t matter how old your children are, this post will help you a great deal!
13. Check out my post on “How to use the #PowerhousePhysiques Workout DVD to maximize results! This post will help you get the best #curvyfit body you can possibly get with your DVDs!
(#CurvyFitQueens Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with progress pics and updates! I would love to hear from you! Good luck and God Bless!!